New in...new gear

Well, technically not new because this is a vintage...it's my new-to-me Asahi Pentax K1000 camera with a 50mm lens. It's my first 35mm film camera EVER. So excited!
Bought this off from a great seller at Kijiji. He's a camera repair guy who serviced this himself, and he included the case.

The Pentax K1000 is well-known to many photography enthusiasts because this simple fully-mechanical/fully-manual camera is used in schools a lot for beginner photography/art classes. Only the light meter uses the battery, so even when you run out of battery power, you can still take pictures. This thing is built like a tank!

Pentax K1000 front

Knowing how to shoot with film will hopefully improve my photography skills. Lately, I find that I edit most of my photos imitating the film look anyway, so I thought might as well get the real deal. AMIRITE?!?!
I might have also been influenced by Tokyo Camera Style.:D
The back is quite simple: the viewfinder (where the light meter is) and the back cover that contains the film inside.
You set everything yourself: ISO, aperture and shutter speed.
The top: (L to R)film rewind knob, hot shoe, shutter speed dial (with ASA indicator), shutter button and film counter
The bottom: . film rewind button, tripod slot and battery chamber
I've already been shooting with it, and OMG! I don't know how any of the pics are turning out, as it's so different from digital where you can review your shots right away. I'll be posting the results, good or bad. Fingers crossed, you guys:D

Do any of you shoot with film cameras?


Comments

Mica said…
What a lovely camera! I'm excited to see what your photos turn out like too! Do you have your own darkroom or is there a place near you that develops film? I haven't seen anywhere that still does that near here for a long time!

Hope that you are having a great week so far :)

Away From The Blue Blog
Emmylou said…
Hey Mica! I'm lucky enough that there are places around me that process film, although most of the good ones are downtown. :)
Very cool! I don't have a film camera anymore.
What a stunner! I only use my phone or a digital camera, but I loved the wait to get the film developed and printed.
FASHION TALES said…
How lovely is that? I love your "new" film camera. This should be loads of fun for you to experiment with as well. I had a camera similar that a friend gave me, sometimes I miss it ... nostalgia! :) Happy weekend! x
That is one awesome camera chingu! I've always wanted a Pentax just because I love their classic look. You will have so much fun with film photography and it will open your eyes in whole new ways. I'm always glad that I learned traditional film photography before digital.
FashionRadi said…
This camera is amazing. You must be so excited to shoot with it.
I just followed your lovely blog. Hope you follow back and let's keep in touch.

www.fashionradi.com
I can not wait to see what you produce. That Pentax is a beauty. I always see gorgeous images produced with them on Instagram.

Sxx
daringcoco.com
rooth said…
How cool - can't wait to see your pictures!

Popular posts from this blog

Some analogue love #2

Just in time

Oh, the hate!