What have I been watching #22

 Hi guys! Time for another film/TV post....stuff I've been loving lately:) Guys....I've been obsessing over European crime drama shows, especially the Nordic Noir genre.

Images form imdb.com 

(streamed from Netflix or Amazon unless otherwise stated)

1) Sorjonen ("Bordertown" on Netlfix)

A great show, with a lead who's the Finnish equivalent of Sherlock Holmes, with his own version of Moriarty (the character of Maasalo). Not only does this show have great crime plot lines, the personal drama is pretty awesome as well. Love love love.


2) The Valhalla Murders
Too bad there's only one season of this show. Love the lead actress Nìna Filipusdøttir who played the policewoman Kata, and her crime profiler partner Arnar (played by Björn Thors).

3) Shetland
Not really of the Nordic Noir genre, but it has the same kinda vibe. A great crime drama series, with an awesome Scottish setting. (As a knitter, Shetland has a special place in my heart:D)

4) The Raven
As an Edgar Allan Poe fan, I can't believe I just recently saw this horror film. Not super scary, but John Cusack was awesome as the poet. I love how the film "explained" Allan Poe's mysterious death.

4) Stay
A psychological thriller, this film was just ok, but I thought all the actors did a fab job. Ryan Gosling, particularly, was awesome IMO.

5) Red Lights
This film is considered horror, but it was more of a psychological thriller too. Love love love the twist in the end.

6) May The Devil Take You
I thoroughly enjoyed this supernatural Indonesian horror film. Great acting from everyone to boot.

7) Things Seen and Heard
This horror film just came out on Netflix so of course, I had to see it. TBH, the ending was lame, but I thought Amanda Seyfriend and especially James Norton were great in their roles.

8) The Strange House
This is horror film on Netflix, but honestly, I think even kids can see this. It's more of an adventure/coming-of-age kinda film. A fun watch for sure.


What have you been watching lately? 

Comments

ellie said…
Oh, these sound so good. Some great mysteries and horror! I finally finished WORD OF HONOR which has to be the best Chinese bromance this year. Such a great script. People you swore who were the good guys. I am almost done with the Sword and the Brocade which is kind of a Downton Abbey of Chinese drama. I really can't say what era it might have been in it could be the early 1900's or far earlier but it deals with royal families, concubines, grudges, family rules and lifting the sea band along with women knowing their place and the FL just wanting to do her embroidery but god forbid if she might make a profit even if the prince loves her work. THE COURT LADY starts out practically a comedy but as the episodes go on their is lots of despair, pirates, war and so much more in this 55 epic episode drama. I love cast, but I would prefer if it was broken into 3 dramas instead.
Ooh a lot of these sound really interesting! I will be adding a couple of them to my watch list. How have I never even heard of The Raven?? I am also an Edgar Allan Poe fan, so this sounds totally up my alley. I meant to watch Things Seen and Heard but haven't had a chance to. I am a sucker for anything with Amanda Seyfried! Thank you for all the recommendations. Glad you have been watching lots of excellent things lately.
ellie said…
Oops..I was so wrong about the time of The Sword and the Brocade..the Ming dynasty..so that is way back when..the 1300's or so. And for COURT LADY...the actor "Jools" in my story blog Xu Kai stars in it..and is such an imp in the beginning and another fun Chinese entertainer Chris Fan is the younger brother. It is interesting to see just how the palace works and all the scheming people along the way. Usually, I watch more Korean dramas but as of late I have taken to some Chinese fantasy/period pieces. Beware, the Chinese government censors Time Travel dramas. Recently I watched the K-drama Children of No One and it was quite huanting.

P.s..thanks so much for reading and all your feedback!
LL Cool Joe said…
I've been watching "Snow White" and "Paw Control" with my Granddaughter, does that count? :D
I've been getting back into Hong Kong movies recently. Something about them is comforting to me since I grew up with them. We finished Hospital Playlist and it was so good. Really looking forward to season 2 in June. You should totally watch it ;p
Mica said…
The strange house would be the only one I could handle I think if kids could watch it, haha! Horror is not the kind of thing I can watch, I'm too easily frightened, ha! It's good you've been finding so many things to watch!

I started watching superstore and it makes me laugh - definitely a good one, even if I don't get to watch a lot of netflix I'm slowly working my way through the series!

Hope your week is off to a good start :)

Away From The Blue
Hena Tayeb said…
I hadn't heard of any of these.. will check them out.
Emmylou said…
Ooooooo....Xu Kai......:)I've got to start watching Chinese dramas too! And I didn't know that the govt. censors the time travel stuff....And thanks for the heads up about Children of No One:)
Mila said…
Thumbs up for nordic noir!! Loved Sorjonen. Deadwind (Karppi) is also good. Things Seen and Heard is on my list too.
Okay, I think I need to watch The Raven!
R's Rue said…
The Raven is my pick.
Lovely said…
All of these sounds wonderful! I'm definitely watching The Raven!
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, the hate!

Some analogue love #2

Just in time