Leather weather

 I posted on Twitter last year how a friend of mine who works in a leather company told me that her manager was trying to get rid of extra stuff and scraps they had lying around. She asked if I wanted some. I never said "yes" so fast in my life!

Well, it turned out that the extra stuff they had meant two trips to the warehouse, with our van fully loaded! I felt like I hit the jackpot, and so grateful to have such people in my life.

These two pics are about half of the stuff they gave me.


Anyhoo, I finally decided to make some stuff with these treasures:)

First make, a basic leather tote bag. 

As you can see, it's a pretty big bag, which meant it can fit all my stuff!


Some work-in-progress stuff:D


Next up, a small shoulder bag for my short trips:

                                           

WIP pics


And last but not the least, a small key chain
I stamped it with a "W" for the family last name.

So, here are some of the tools I use.

I get them from Lee Valley, but the mallet is from Michaels. If you sew, sewing with leather is pretty much the same, except you really do need a heavy-duty machine to do so. The leather I've used for the bags are upholstery leather (chrome-tanned), which means they are thinner and thus can go through a regular machine (albeit slowly). You can also sew them by hand.

If you are interested, here is the tutorial I followed for the basic tote (except I used different dimensions and a different type of leather. I also added a snap for closure.).

Have you tried making your own bags and stuff? How did it go?



Comments

Woah! That is incredible that you were able to take home those scraps. It's wonderful what you have created so far. I'm amazed by your talent! I love that large bag you made. What a great way to hold all the essentials. The smaller shoulder bag is stunning as well <3
rooth said…
That's so cool - love all the things you've created
Hena Tayeb said…
Wow.. just wow. I love everything you made and look forward to all your future creations.
Jackpot indeed! Loving the sustainability and thriftiness elements of your story as well as all of the gorgeous creations you've made so far especially that carry-all tote! Your amazing skills never cease to amaze me Emmy <3 Looking forward to seeing what you make next!
ellie said…
So awesome! I love your work. My dad actually worked with leather. He made boots when I was little..cowboy boots..no less. He used to make saddles. For awhile he made chaps..and finally, his best seller were whips. He had always known how to braid since he was a kid. If only he'd made me a bag...💕❤️💕
Mica said…
These are such great bags, how kind of your friend to give you these pieces to create with! I am loving the little crossbody you made too, what an adorable bag! :) I would never stop if I could make my own bags, haha!

Adam said…
Not a bad event for you to get all that stuff
MELODY JACOB said…
Your friend is really thoughtful to offer you these components to use in the creation of such wonderful bags as these. I also really like the cute small crossbody purse that you made; it's such a cute little bag! 

melodyjacob.com
Hi!

I just discovered your blog and love the bag you created! Love DIY, and wish I did more of it.

Cheers,
Tania
https://inspiremyfancy.com/
iamperlita said…
Gosh! That is the equivalent of hitting the jackpot especially since you are so creative and talented! I really love the bags! I can't wait to see what else you create! Have a great weekend!
PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com
♥ | INSTAGRAM
Kinga K. said…
What a great job! I love leather products :D
Emmy, that was such a blessing!!! Leather!?! It’s so expensive. I am so proud of you! A tote, purse and wait … wait … wait …. purse accessory! I am bow-ing to you! U go girl!

Popular posts from this blog

Some analogue love #2

Just in time

Life lately- end of the school year 2023