Inspiration: James Jacques Joseph Tissot

I first discovered Tissot (1836-1902) when I saw his etchings at the AGO during the late 90's (I think) and instantly fell in love with his work. It's one of those "Holy Cow! This is just too amazing" moments for me, you know?

The romantic in me also was really enamoured by love story between him and and his muse Kathleen Newton, an Irish divorcée. (You can read more about it here).

Unfortunately, I don't hear much about James Tissot's works these days, so I thought I'd feature him here, as his work is one of the reasons I became interested in fine arts (aside from Van Gogh). To this day, I still look at his drawings and paintings for inspiration...for what is possible.

(All images from https://www.jamestissot.org/)








Do you have a favourite artist?

Comments

Hi Emmy
I love all the impressionists, including Van Gogh.
Tissot I only know the watches Tissot I dont know if it is the same Tissot, but they are very good watches.
I love fine arts too.
xoxo

marisasclosetblog.com
Adam said…
I like art like this.
Mica said…
I hadn't heard of him, thank you for the introduction! :) I really like the way he captures textures so well, it's beautiful! :)

Hope you have a great weekend ahead of you :)

Away From The Blue
I'd heard the name before yet I can't correlate them to any of these paintings. Maybe I am thinking of another artist?! I love Van Gogh. Mostly his life story which is utterly tragic. I can't imagine pouring your heart and soul into your work, only to have zero recognition until well after your death. A part of me wonders what he would think about this? Anger? Solace?

Sxx
daringcoco.com
FashionRadi said…
Beautiful art, very inspiring!

www.fashionradi.com
How beautiful! I had not heard of him before. I really like Degas and Monet :)
ALLIE NYC said…
Sadly I had not heard of him either. I hope he lived a nice life while he was alive. I think in part what makes his paintings interesting is the natural almost photographic feel to them in the natural caught in the moment aspect to the subjects. And no camera! I guess you had to sketch really fast

Allie of
www.allienyc.com
Oh to Be a Muse said…
I don't think I've seen any pieces by Tissot before so thank you for sharing his beautiful work.

Also I would have loved to comment on your most recent post with the vlog but my computer is being weird and won't let me watch videos right now.

new post: http://www.ohtobeamuse.com/2019/03/zappos-clarks-spring-shoes.html

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, the hate!

Some analogue love #2

Just in time