All about the cardigan and being inspired by Natalie Chanin #TheSchoolOfMaking

 Sooooo...I'm on a roll when it comes to completing hand-sewn garments, you guys! 

Here's my latest finished one...this peplum cardigan, and of course, the pattern is from Alabama Chanin (in the book Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns).  

Alabama Chanin Classic Cardigan with ruffle


I must say I really love this. Not only is it completely hand-sewn, it fits me perfectly! I adjusted the sleeves to make it the length and width I wanted. Doing the ruffle as well added a lot of work but I really like how it ended up looking.
worn with a dress I also sewed (Mechant and Mills Bantam pattern) with House of Harlow booties




Out and about:)


A short vid of me showing it off:D


A closer look:
(I used reverse appliqué for the main body of the cardigan, and negative reverse appliqué for the ruffle part.)





the cardigan and the ruffle part before I put them together.


Behind the scenes:
stencilling the fabric using my airbrush



Doing the negative reverse appliqué
To say I'm obsessed is an understatement. I am a big fan of the brand and its founder Natalie Chanin. Not only does she promote sustainability and the idea of zero-waste in her line, she "open-sourced" her patterns and methods in her beautiful books! She started The School of Making for those interested in making garments like the one she sells, and also created the non-profit Project Threadways.
image from http://journal.albamachanin.com


I first blogged about Alabama Chanin in 2015 but it wasn't until recently that I started hand-sewing Natalie's patterns, and now, I can't stop! (Click here if you want to see all my AC posts.) 

Like knitting, there is just something so relaxing and zen-like when you do it, and frankly, nowadays, we all need something to bring us some peace.

Do you also have a favourite brand?

Comments

ellie said…
Absolutely adoring this jacket! Amazing how you put that ruffle in! Very romantic and so natural about the jacket. You look lovely in it! Thanks so much for sharing this unique way of sewing and more. You are truly an artist.

I really don't know too much about brands. I have been crocheting a long. A friend had gotten me some expensive yarn and I will say, it has been the hardest thing to roll in a ball..it just got so tangled. On a better note..I think I am set for the year and next year to with shoes. I like UIN which I found on Amazon. My first pair are very artsy. Each canvas shoe was a different print. Such a great walking shoe. Although, I don't think my director at the library liked me wearing them. Although, later everyone kept telling me how they loved my crazy shoes. So then I ordered a pink pair of one of their earlier styles that wasn't a canvas. It is more of a slip on sneaker. Later when I collected all my birthday gift cards I had enough for a fall pair that are a dark gray. And I love these. Now I'm waiting for a plain pink pair. Initially, I thought it was an Italian brand, but naturally the shoes come from China. And that takes awhile..even from Amazon.
Wow! You have certainly been busy. This is such a gorgeous piece. I just love the ruffles. What is so wonderful about this cardigan is that it can be worn out and about but would also be suitable for a special event or occasion. It is just such a beautiful item to have in your wardrobe!
the creation of beauty is art.
Ivana Split said…
This cardigan is a work of art. Congrats!
Mica said…
This is another amazing piece! You have been sharing so many stunning items lately - you are really being so creative! it's a beautiful cardigan on you and the ruffle detail is so cute.
Being petite I'm especially jealous you can make the sleeves whatever length you want - most sleeves are too long for me, ha!

Hope your weeek is off to a great start :)

Away From The Blue
This cardigan is truly stunning Emmy! The silhouette and fit is perfect on you! I definitely get that your creative process is a total labor of love and it's wonderful you've found such an incredible passion project that you enjoy so much and produces such lovely wardrobe pieces at the same time <3
rooth said…
WOW it looks so good! Nicely done
FASHION TALES said…
It's definitely a wonderful piece, Emmy. I know, gasp, who knew I'd be back to blogging. Life has been busy but I missed reading blogs. Love your cardigan. Hope you are doing well.
FASHION TALES

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, the hate!

Some analogue love #2

Just in time