What have I been watching #34

 Sooooo...I've watched quite a bit of movies and shows over the holidays (the perk of not sleeping much), so I just thought I'd share them here. There are three categories: 

1) The best ones 2) The meh and 3) Waste of time

 Buckle up!!!

(all images from imdb.com)

The best ones

Crimes of the Future

Very gory at some parts (very David Cronenberg). but such a great story and great cast.


Last Night in Soho
Loved everything about this movie, especially Thomasin McKenzie. Great plot.

Morbius
I'm probably the only person on earth who loved this movie. I thought Jared Leto did an ok job, and Matt Smith was super awesome as always. (He was also great in Last Night in Soho!)

Midnight Club
A slow-burn but oh so worth it. Even though this was described as horror, this is really not that scary, which was ok. Just a great series.

Glass Onion
Love love love. Funny and entertaining for sure, although Knives Out is still my fave out of the two.


Everything Everywhere All At Once
My middle child was actually the one who said I should watch this, and oh...em...gee...It is seriously one of the best films I've seen in a long time. My hubby ended up loving this, too.
If you haven't seen this, GO SEE IT NOW!!!

American Horror Story Season 8 (Apocalypse)
My daughter got me obsessed over this show. (I do watch this with her coz it's soooooo gratuitous, so I have to pretty much censor a lot of the scenes.) This season with Cody Fern is my fave to date. 

Alice in Borderland Season 2
Just finished watching this, and it's just as awesome as Season 1. Had my crying in some scenes.

The Mehs

The Pale Blue Eye
I'm such a big Christian Bale fan, but this one was a bit of a dud. Great cinematography, but oh so slow, and only really got interesting in the last 30 minutes IMO.

School of Good and Evil

Charlize Theron and Kerry Washington were great in it....that's about it. The plot was super predictable.

The waste of time

Don't Worry Darling
I really wanted to love this film, coz I like Harry Styles, but gaaaaaaah!!! WTF is that ending?!?!?

Black Adam
This could've been a good movie, but the pacing...ugh! Pierce Brosnan was legitimately the best part of this movie.

What have you been watching lately?

Comments

Hena Tayeb said…
I agree with you about Glass Onion. It was more comedy while I felt Knives Out had more substance. Everything Everywhere was phenomenal. michelle yeoh is a goddess.

Black Adam was exactly what I expected it to be.. mindless.
I agree with School of Good as well.. too basic
Don't Worry Darling - if nothing Florence Pough was good.

Haven't seen any of the others.
ellie said…
WOW! So great to see your review. I dunno I couldn't put myself through The Harry Styles movie. I mean, I like Harry..I like the characters I come up with from him. I have even created other characters a lot like Harry with different face claims..so this being someone's first movie direction with so many good actors I kept thinking..oh it probably will not be my cup of tea.

I'm really going to have to look into the Alice series now!

Of course, I'm still high kicking my way through all 3. They are funny, but they touch on very sad things too..as in the second one of the teenage girl who comes to their how to be the housemaid and the one she's so in love with tells her, "Well, you'll always be the housemaid." Although, he looks at her as a little sister he never had. On the bad side, this was totally more funny in 2009 than now with the fart jokes and the terrible bulling in the family. I don't know if it could be made now days..even in Korea. Especially, from finding out how controversial it is for even a child star of the series to have crossed fans. But..well, I will leave that alone.

The Asian movie you mentioned I really hope I get to see that one!

I did start Who Rules The World (Chinese) on Netflix. It really is filmed beautifully. Of course, in the first episode, they killed off one of my favorite up-and-coming Chinese actor. He tends to only do guest roles, but I hope he will be the main character soon. And finally, I found a quaint Chinese drama (2023) Meet Yourself. Oh, Janice Wu does an amazing performance in the first episode. I really loved how it showed two working women and their friendship alone in the big city. Of course, it's the friend who inspires the other to go off and enjoy life in her travels and to really fall in love with life. So it was a great one to start this month.

Thanks so much for your suggestions in this post! Have an amazing January and delightful winter!
rooth said…
I haven't watched a ton but I am recommending Everything Everywhere All At Once to everyone - Michelle Yeoh is so awesome in it
I really want to watch Last Night in Soho. I remember seeing the trailer and being wowed by the visuals. Thank you for the reminder to check it out! I had Midnight Club on my watch list, but heard it would not be picked up for a second season. Do you think it is still worth watching even though there is only one season? My husband and I watched Glass Onion the other day and it was good. I agree that the first one was better, though! I also watched the School of Good and Evil (gosh, I'm realizing how much stuff I watch) and it was okay. I liked it well enough (mostly because Kerry Washington is everything) but it's not something I would necessarily rewatch. Hot take here: I actually really enjoyed Don't Worry Darling. I thought it was fantastic. The ending was wild but really fascinating, and overall, I thought the movie had a lot of important themes.

the creation of beauty is art.
We actually thought the Glass Onion was better than Knives Out. Janelle Monae totally stole that movie. Love her, the rest of the cast not so much. We also watched EEAAO and it was good but we felt it was a little convoluted for the message they were trying to get across. That said, Michelle Yeoh was excellent and we were very happy to see Ke Huy Quan onscreen again. We watched The Glory and are rewatching it. SHK is a total badass and it's such a gripping drama. Watch it if you get a chance. We're also watching The Fabulous which is light and fluffy and House on Wheels which is a variety show.
Jo Rashi said…
Thanks for these amazing reviews dear :-)
Beauty and Fashion/Glamansion/Rampdiary
Mica said…
I've heard so much about Glass Onion, and everything Everywhere all At Once, but I haven't watched either of them! I should add to my list so I can watch if I do manage to get any time to myself, haha! I mostly just manage to squeeze in a little episode or two if I'm ever kid free in front of the TV!
Adam said…
I didn't like Morbius, rather bland of a movie
I saw a preview of Glass Onion at the movies, but I haven’t seen it yet. Looks like an all-star cast �� I love Michelle Yeoh! So I will definitely have to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once. Awesome review!
Kim - A Very Sweet Blog

Popular posts from this blog

Some analogue love #2

Just in time

Life lately- end of the school year 2023